Monday, September 5, 2011

When It's Not Enough...

Lately I've been packing my suitcase. Trying to get in as many donations as possible without going over 50 lbs. I'm excited to bring the small amount of donations I have to Ghana. I love giving things to those beautiful children.

But what do you do when it's not enough?


Don't get me wrong- they will LOVE anything they get. But for one particular boy, I know it's just not enough. He wants more.

I remember when he first told me, "I wish I could come where you are." The lump in my throat. I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach.


This morning my daughter, Serwaa, called. I could hear that same boy in the background telling her what to say. He wanted her to ask me if he could come to America with us. He was too embarrassed to mention it again himself. I didn't know what to say. I think I stumbled through some random words, then thanked God that their phone ran out of minutes right about then.


He wants to come to America. To be in a family. He is desperate. But his chances are small. Older boys are pretty much on the bottom of the totem pole in the adoption world. Especially when they have a brother.

I don't know his story. Maybe he's eligible for international adoption. Maybe he has living family somewhere that he could return to if they are supported financially. I will definately find out all I can. I will do all I can. But sometimes it's just not enough. These days are hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment