Monday, April 26, 2010

Airline discount

I just spoke to Delta, and they said adoption travel is 65% off! I had heard that, but thought it only applied to the children's trip home! I am so excited about it! That's less that half the original price! Woo-hoo! Thank you Lord!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Back on Track...

Well, after my recent meltdown/panic attack, I am back on track. I know God will take care of the expense and all the bumps in the road. He always has, so why would He stop now?

And honestly, the expense part over all is far less stressful than the time line. I want my kids home as soon as possible!

So this week (instead of panicking), I'm just going to pray twice as hard.

On May the 9th, it will have been 2 months since I sent my dossier to my adoption agency. I am praying that they will send it to Ghana by May the 9th.
I just can't wait for them to be home, running around in the yard, climbing trees, riding bikes.... It's going to be so much fun!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

So, Now What?

Today I have lost it.

Word has been spreading over that last week that Ghana now REQUIRES both parents be present in court. One of the reason we chose to adopt from Ghana is that neither of us had to travel for court. It was one of the only countries we could afford to adopt from. (Not to mention I just fell in love with the country for some reason.)

So all the sudden it goes from neither of us traveling for court to both of us traveling for court. At first I was a little discouraged. It's gonna be a little extra cost than we thought. Then I started REALLY thinking about it. It's not a little extra cost. It's ALOT extra.

First, Al will miss a week of work. With no pay.

That's gonna hurt. Alot.

On top of that is the cost of food and a hotel for that week. That wouldn't be so bad, if we weren't missing a WHOLE PAYCHECK for that week!

Then, I got the bright idea to check the flight price on Delta's website. Heart attack!

I was nearly in tears when the price popped up as $2,059.99. How are we going to afford $2,059.99?

Oh wait- that tiny writing. It says "per passenger".

And I'm pretty sure there is another part of the agency's fee due before travel!

So it has now gone from 'we are going to be completely broke' to 'we can't do it'. Not that it will be REALLY difficult. Can't. Do. It. There is not even that much money in the bank! Checking and savings combined!!

So what now? We can't just say "Sorry kids, we don't have the money."

We can't say "Just wait another year or two, then maybe we can afford you".

I just don't know.

Anybody who has been through this whole thing- any idea?

I've already depleted my (very small) 401k. We've called about borrowing against Al's 401k twice. They DO NOT allow us to borrow for adoption.
We've even sold several pieces of furniture from our house! Still not enough.
So, now what?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Whole Month of Nothing...

In case you wonder what's been going on the last month or so... NOTHING at all! We mailed our dossier to the agency on March 9th. I'd like to say we're waiting on a court date. But we're not. We are waiting for our agency's rep to look over our dossier before they send it to Ghana. He was in Ghana recently, and just got back on March 30th. Hopefully he's back to work this week so he can look at the dossier & send it over so we can start waiting for a court date!